A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

See Dick Apologize..........Apologize Dick Apologize

Earlier in the week, EthicsDaily.com broke the story about Richard Land's use of a Yiddish slur directed towards a Jewish United States Senator. The following day, well-known historian Randall Balmer called for Land's resignation.

Now, Richard Land has issued what looks sorta like an apology. Read for yourself:
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--It has come to my attention in the last 48 hours that some people were offended by my reference to Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) as a "schmuck" during the Criswell Lecture Series at Criswell College, Jan. 29-31. In reviewing these criticisms I have learned some consider the word crude, if not obscene. I apologize for my ignorance of that fact. If I had known that, I would never have used the word. I always attempt to avoid crude and offensive language as a matter of conviction.

As Jeffrey Weiss of The Dallas Morning News has pointed out, the idiom means "jerk," which was my intended usage. I truly apologize to anyone offended by my use of a word they perceived to be crude or obscene. I used the word "schmuck" in my reference to Senator Schumer solely in an attempt to employ a word that alliterated with Schumer's name and describe my perception of his behavior during the confirmation hearings for Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito -- nothing more!

However, I am deeply offended that anyone would interpret my remarks as anti-Semitic. My entire Christian life I have been taught, and believe, that the Jews are God's chosen people. I have said on dozens of occasions in public that anti-Semitism is the most irrational of prejudices for a Christian, since Jesus our Savior was Himself a Jew. My entire public ministry I have denounced anti-Semitism, and I have sought to combat it wherever and whenever I have encountered it. Anyone who knows me knows this to be true. Once again, as Jeffrey Weis commented, "Elevating a relatively harmless insult into an accusation of anti-Semitism devalues real attacks on Jews and Judaism."

Anti-Semitism is far too dangerous and virulent in our world to tolerate the luxury of such a trivialization going unchallenged.
Further reading: SBC Leader Pleads Ignorance of Jewish Slur

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger shadrach said...

I am very disappointed with Dr. Land. It makes it worse that he is a very educated man and so knows how to choose his words.

However, I will remain true to the SBC because to date, no one else offers near the consistency biblically or socially. I pray we who remain faithful to Christ can effect the necessary changes in our convention in time for the world to see what we were meant to be, salt and light, but most of all love.

6:53 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

So it's okay and Biblical to call someone a "jerk"?

8:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. When all is said and done...even if Land had no intention to offend or had not the slightest idea that the word could be offensive, his decision to call someone a jerk in a Christian venue(and let's not forget his implication that Hillary is a witch - I assume that's what he meant with "parking her broom") is offensive enough. Since when did it become acceptable to conduct oneself in this way as a Christian leader?

9:15 AM

 
Blogger ElhananWinchester said...

Far worse than his use of the word schmuck is his belief that Jews burn in hell for eternity after they die.
Now that's what I call antisemitic.

3:58 PM

 
Blogger Cally said...

Of course the obvious solution is not to call people names to begin with. This is an example of what happens when someone tries to be cute with their insults. You would think someone with a Princeton education could come up with something a little more sophisticated.

9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are we suprised that Land's "problem" is not anti-semitism but rather lack of knowledge (what some would call "unintelligence")?

No surprise here.

bap

10:14 AM

 
Blogger volfan007 said...

el,

jews who do not repent and put thier faith in Jesus for their salvation do burn in hell forever...just as gentiles who refuse to get saved burn in hell forever. this is not anti semitic. this is just the truth. this is what the bible teaches.

Jesus is the Way, and He is the only way to the Father and heaven.

david

7:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker