A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Mitt Romney and The Mormon Speech

Mitt Romney delivered his "Faith in America" speech this morning at the George H.W. Bush Library in College Station, Texas.



And a snippet from the speech:

Almost 50 years ago another candidate from Massachusetts explained that he was an American running for president, not a Catholic running for president. Like him, I am an American running for president. I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith.

Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions. Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin.

As governor, I tried to do the right as best I knew it, serving the law and answering to the Constitution. I did not confuse the particular teachings of my church with the obligations of the office and of the Constitution — and of course, I would not do so as president. I will put no doctrine of any church above the plain duties of the office and the sovereign authority of the law.

I'm not sure what Mitt Romney accomplished, if anything, with this speech. A large number of Southern Baptists and other very very conservative evangelicals view Mormonism as a cult. Did Mitt relieve their fears and concerns with this speech? Well, out of 2,540 words he only mentioned the word Mormon once.

Overall, Mitt's Mormon speech *may* have been a good tactic. With all eyes on Mike Huckabee, Romney's speech may divert attention away from Huck for at least a day or two. Lots of free press coverage at least. However, I don't think the Mormon questions will cease any time soon.

What do you think?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Daddy,

We fundys know how to separate church from politics. Romney will rise or fall as a candidate based on perceptions of his politics and potential to win over the Democrat nominated, not on his church affiliation.

How's that for inclusiveness?

6:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker