A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Broadway Baptist Postpones Directory Decision

From Sam Hodges of the Dallas Morning-News....
A prominent Fort Worth church continues to struggle with how to handle photographs of gay members in a pictorial directory that's to be part of its 125th anniversary celebrations.

Broadway Baptist Church has debated whether to include gay couples, or gay people as individuals but not as couples, or whether to omit all individual and family photos.

Members were to vote today, following morning worship. But after meeting for about an hour, they postponed any decision until deacons make a recommendation on Feb. 24.

"We will continue to discuss this issue together as a church family," said Kathy Madeja, deacon chair, in a prepared statement. "We do not want to rush to make a decision, but rather to continue to listen to each other and for God's leading for our church."

Read the rest here.
I hesitate to opine in this post. My mere coverage of The Broadway Controversy resulted in a Texas Baptist pastor comparing Big Daddy Weave to "dung" and accused me of supporting a "preversion of the Gospel."

Apparently slanderers are not the best spellers.

Nonetheless, Broadway's decision to postpone seems smart. Not much good can come of a hasty church-wide vote. However, Broadway is in a lose-lose here. One way or the other this directory controversy won't end well for everyone. And I seriously doubt that one simple vote will solve this matter completely. After receiving so much publicity and attention from inside and outside of the Baptist world, I suspect Broadway will ultimately suffer some degree of fall out from their decision and perhaps a bit of Baptist fighting will ensue....

Bob Allen of EthicsDaily.com has the best coverage of The Broadway Controversy here.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Writer said...

It seems to me that if Broadway embraces homosexuality as a biblical lifestyle, then what's the problem with displaying that in a church directory? They have made their bed, so they should sleep in it.

My take.

Les

9:42 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Les, I don't think it's fair to characterize Broadway as "embrac[ing] homosexuality as a biblical lifestyle." Broadway is an incredibly diverse church, and the fact that they're having a struggle over this issue indicates that church members hole a wide variety of opinions as to what Biblical teaching about homosexuality means.

BDW, I've noticed that correlation between poor grammar, usage, and spelling and slander as well.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger ElhananWinchester said...

BDW, first, I ask you to give my greetings to Weaver the Elder. Now, I'd like to say that I appreciate your coverage of Broadway. But, I don't get it. Why is spiritual samurai so upset about Gays in the Church Directory. One, we need more happy people in our church directories. Two, Olin Mills, as Spiritual Samurai knows, was a practicing homosexual. Three, why is spiritual samurai so upset about this? Hmmmm. This issue really seems to bother him. And Senator Craig.
Four, I am sorry that he called you, "dung." That wasn't nice. He hurt his witness with me. I bet he's not really saved

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Billy Edwards said...

I've always been in the remedial class (so I'm watching my spelling and grammar carefully), but I'm trying to understand the delay in Broadway's decision. If Broadway accepts practicing gays as members, why not put them in the directory? If it's OK, it's OK. If it's not, it's not. Why the hesitation? They can talk and make recommendations until Jesus comes back, but at the end of the day there will never be consensus. It's either right or wrong. You don't think that, in the back of their proverbial mind, there is some doubt as to the wisdom of accepting practicing gays as members, do you?

3:52 PM

 
Blogger Writer said...

Billy,

My point exactly.

Les

4:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BDW,

(tongue-in-cheek) Is texasinafrica guilty of slander, too?

Saying that church members "hole" a variety of opinions on the Bible's teaching on homosexuality is, I hope, merely a case of bad spelling, which I agree equates with slander.

I'm also chuckling as I think about the odd fact that my wife and I have our church directory picture appointment tomorrow night at 9:20! I need to make sure our church is settled on how to handle the pictures of all our families.

I guess when we simple folks just take the Bible as meaning what it clearly says, we don't get to have business meetings for anything so juicy as Broadway.

8:42 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, my land, I didn't proofread closely enough! Go ahead and cast me out now!

(Sorry about that. No pun intended.)

9:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker