A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

A New Southern Baptist Dictionary...

In the mail today, I received a nicely-shrink wrapped copy of the SBC's 2006 Annual (not sure why it was addressed to me, though).

While watching a Seinfeld re-run and flipping through this nearly 600-page document, I found one Motion so utterly ridiculous that I could not help but chuckle.
28. William I. Gay Jr. (NC) presented a motion: Refrain from Using the Word "Gay" as Meaning "Homosexual"

"That the Southern Baptist Convention refrain from using the word "gay" when referring to homosexuals in sermons, publications, and in the media. I would also ask the pastors in our denomination, and in other enominations to cease referring to homosexuals as "gay" in their sermons and in their publications."

President Bobby Welch later ruled the motion out of order.

Too bad the motion didn't pass....I can see the Jon Stewart clip now...

5 Comments:

Blogger dave said...

Yeah and I'm sure there are countless other entries in that New SBC Dictionary (a volume they can control per the HCSB) that would merit mentioning.

Conservative=me
Moderate =Left of me
Liberal=(see Moderate)

8:06 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

HOW do I get on that mailing list? Sounds like amusing reading!

8:07 PM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

The Annual Profile appears to come free with a subscription to SBCLife, which my family still gets for free (again, not sure why).

The Profile did clear up a few things about SBC counting procedures. They DO count ALL BGCT and BGAV congregations. This means churches like Calvary Baptist in Waco (a BGCT/CBF only) gets included in the SBC Profile.

8:28 PM

 
Blogger Cally said...

You are only beginning to see the madness that has been around for decades. Get your hands on the Reggie McNeal book "The Present Future: Six tough questions for the church." I heard him at a conference recently.

9:57 PM

 
Blogger Cally said...

And one more thing. . . you are absolutely right about the shortage of moderate voices on the net. I had no idea until I started sampling some of the blogs out there in Baptist land. Keep it real.

10:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker