A Progressive Theo-Political Blog Bringing You The Best and Worst of Baptist Life.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Judge Speaks - Paul Pressler on Mike Huckabee

Check out John Fund's op-ed over at The Wall Street Journal.

A few snippets follow:
Mr. Huckabee attributes his support to the fact he is a "hardworking, consistent conservative with some authenticity about those convictions." He is certainly qualified for national office, having served nearly 11 years as a chief executive. I have known and liked him for years; on the stump he often tells the story of how we first met outside his boarded-up office in the state Capitol, which had been sealed by Arkansas Democrats who refused to accept he had won an upset election for lieutenant governor in 1993. But I also know he is not the "consistent conservative" he now claims to be.

Nor am I alone. Betsy Hagan, Arkansas director of the conservative Eagle Forum and a key backer of his early runs for office, was once "his No. 1 fan." She was bitterly disappointed with his record. "He was pro-life and pro-gun, but otherwise a liberal," she says. "Just like Bill Clinton he will charm you, but don't be surprised if he takes a completely different turn in office."

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum, is even more blunt. "He destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the Republican Party a shambles," she says. "Yet some of the same evangelicals who sold us on George W. Bush as a 'compassionate conservative' are now trying to sell us on Mike Huckabee."
And The Architect of the Fundamentalist Takeover of the SBC, Judge Paul Pressler Speaks:
Rick Scarborough, a pastor who heads Vision America, attended seminary with Mr. Huckabee and is a strong backer. But, he acknowledges, "Mike has always sought the validation of elites." When conservatives took over the Southern Baptist Convention after a bitter fight in the 1980s, Mr. Huckabee sided with the ruling moderates. Paul Pressler, a former Texas judge who led the conservative Southern Baptist revolt, told me, "I know of no conservative he appointed while he headed the Arkansas Baptist Convention."
I just can't picture Mike Huckabee as a moderate or someone who would sympathize with the "ruling moderates." Anyone have any additional details?

On another unrelated note:

Last Friday, I was maliciously maligned in the blogosphere by a Baptist minister who apparently has nothing better to do than spread lies about a fellow Christian less than half his age. The post was promptly removed, its record kept, and I've been instructed not to discuss the details. For those who caught a glimpse of the hate speech spewed my way, please consider the source. Thanks.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Eric Guel said...

Last Friday, I was maliciously maligned in the blogosphere by a Baptist minister who apparently has nothing better to do than spread lies about a fellow Christian less than half his age.

Sad. So sad. I didn't see what you're talking about, but I can probably guess where it came from ...

11:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce Prescott claims that Huckabee was part of the SBC fundamentalist takeover, but I never heard of him until he went into secular politics.

My take is that he is a rock-solid conservative but a likeable one--who has little interest in perpetuating the culture wars or demonizing those with whom he disagrees--except, for some reason, Jimmy Carter.

I don't want Huckabee to become president because I don't think he is nearly strong enough on church-state separation and because I think he would continue the occupation of Iraq, the torture and Gulag at Gitmo, and many of the other disastrous Bush policies. But I feel the same about all of the GOP candidates and close to the same about the Democratic frontrunner.

I'm sorry you were slimed--happens all the time to me.

7:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The interesting thing about all of those you quote, Pressler, Schlafly, and so on, do not specifically say why they think Huckabee destroyed the Republican party in Arkansas, or what evidence exists to prove that he's not a consistent conservative. Frankly, I see him as being more consistent than any other Republican candidate.

I think what they don't like is his economic policy, which includes tax reform that will require the wealthy to pay their fair share, and what I would call his consistent pro-life position, which includes opposition to the death penalty.

Huckabee is, in my opinion, the only Republican whose position is consistent with that of the religious right, because he is one of them. None of the others are.

9:02 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Well, at least Huckabee sees that the Bible talks about more than sex, which makes him a moderate in some circles.

Sorry about the nastiness, but what can you do?

9:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had to deal with some on line nastiness.

I've been there, and staying silent and keeping your peace is difficult. Wise, but difficult.

Go in peace.

Bene D

9:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron,

Huckabee was the moderate candidate who defeated Ronnie Floyd for president of the Arkansas Baptist Convention. But I do not think anyone accused him of being "liberal." I think Pressler is accurate--Huckabee sided with the "establishment," which of course made up one plank in the moderate movement. Huckabee was not active among the movement conservatives.

NAF

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker